Archive

☏ 306-586-1805   |   1939 Elphinstone Street, Regina, SK


The Ministry of Immigration and Career Training has released the provincial labour demand outlook for the forecast period 2019–23. The following three reports provide current, accurate and valuable labour force data. They serve as planning tools to inform and support policy and program decisions, workforce planning and career development by a variety of users including education and training providers, industry associations, employers, government, employment/career practitioners and individuals wanting to make career choices.

  • 2019 Saskatchewan Labour Demand Outlook provides an overview of Saskatchewan’s forecasted job openings for the five-year forecast period 2019-23, for 10 major occupational groups and for five education/skill levels. 
  • 2019 Saskatchewan Industry Labour Demand Outlook provides forecasted job openings and employment growth for 16 major industries in Saskatchewan for the five-year forecast period 2019–23. Included for each industry are the top five occupations with the most forecasted job openings and the most in-demand soft skills by Canadian employers in 2018.
  • 2019 Saskatchewan Detailed Occupational Outlook provides current and future labour market information for 437 occupations in Saskatchewan for the five-year forecast period 2019–23. Included for each occupation are a job outlook, forecasted net job openings, estimated wages and employment for 2019, the education/skill level typically required and the most in-demand soft skills by Canadian employers in 2018. The report profiles the highest paying, higher-skilled occupations; the highest paying, lower-skilled occupations; and occupations with the most job openings for each education/skill level.

The reports are accessible on the Government of Saskatchewan’s Publication Centre (https://publications.saskatchewan.ca/) and Saskatchewan.ca https://www.saskatchewan.ca/business/hire-train-and-manage-employees/labour-market-information.

 

Key Findings

  • There are 98,200 job openings forecasted for the province for 2019 to 2023. The need to replace retiring workers is the key driver, accounting for 76 per cent of future job openings (74,300). The remaining 24 per cent of job openings (23,900) are due to economic growth.
  • A range of skills will be required for the future labour market with 62 per cent of job openings (60,400) requiring management experience or post-secondary education, training or apprenticeship training, and 38 per cent of job openings (37,800) requiring high school completion or on-the-job training with less than high school completion.
  • All major industries are expected to have a net increase in job openings, largely due to replacement demand. Fewer economic-driven job openings are forecasted for forestry, fishing, mining, oil and gas (-2,000) and agriculture (-100) but are offset by greater replacement demand (11,100) in these sectors.
  • Four industries account for nearly half of the future job openings: wholesale and retail trade (16,600); health care and social assistance (13,200); agriculture (8,300); and educational services (7,100). 
  • Three major occupational groups account for six out of every 10 future job openings, including: sales and service (24,300); trades, transport and equipment operators (18,000); and business, finance and administration (17,000).
  • For the 437 occupations profiled, 15 per cent are assessed a “good” job outlook (more favourable), 68 per cent a “fair” outlook (balanced) and 17 per cent a “limited” outlook (less favourable) over the forecast period.

 

 

[ BACK TO INTERCHANGE MENU ]

Member Area

Register

You need to enable user registration from User Manager/Options in the backend of Joomla before this module will activate.