Lehigh Hanson is pleased to announce the launch of EcoCem®PLUS at its Edmonton cement plant in Alberta. EcoCem®PLUS is an innovative blended Portland Limestone Cement (PLC) available in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.
Lehigh’s latest cement product provides strength and durability while significantly reducing the carbon footprint in concrete. Along with supporting the company’s vision of sustainable cement and concrete, EcoCem® PLUS provides the following benefits to its consumers:
- EcoCem®PLUS is produced by inter-grinding clinker, fly ash, limestone and gypsum
- Combining materials at the Edmonton cement plant provides the highest level of quality control and assures our customers, engineers and end-users consistent proportions
- EcoCem®PLUS outperforms traditional HS cement in resisting sulphate attack, a common concern found throughout the prairies. Designated as HSLb by CSA (High Sulphate Limestone Blended), its superiority makes it ideal for use in most applications.
- All-in-one product reduces the need for additional silos and coordination of multiple deliveries at concrete plants and project sites
- Through Lehigh’s strong network of terminals and raw material supply, EcoCem®PLUS provides customers a stable supply of cement and fly ash
- Environmental Product Declaration (EPD) for EcoCem®PLUS clearly states the immediate reduction in Global Warming Potential (GWP) versus other types of cement
“The motivation behind the EcoCem brand of products is to reduce the embodied carbon of cement and concrete,” said Shawn McMillan, vice president, Cement for Lehigh Hanson’s Canada Region. “The introduction of EcoCem®PLUS to the prairie market builds on our commitment to providing environmentally responsible types of cement that deliver excellent performance while dramatically reducing CO2 emissions.”
HeidelbergCement, Lehigh Cement’s global parent company, has committed to reducing 30 per cent of its carbon emissions by 2025 and providing carbon-neutral concrete by 2050. EcoCem®PLUS is the latest of several new products recently developed to help achieve those goals.